How to Prevent Charley Horses Caused by Fibromyalgia
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Symptoms and Signs and other Fibromyalgia topics.
Charley horses are painful, a nuisance, you name it! Here are a few things you can do to prevent them.
- Drink plenty of water! Often times, charley horses are a result of being dehydrated. Check your water intake and adjust it to the proper amount.
- Take a multivitamin daily or change your diet to include healthier foods that have the daily vitamins and minerals your body needs. Especially important are magnesium, vitamin E and calcium.
- Take a nice, relaxing hot bath with Epsom salt, lavender essential oil and peppermint essential oil. Epsom salt is great for reducing muscle stiffness. Lavender essential oil is perfect for relaxing body and mind, while peppermint increases circulation. Only use a few drops. You can also do this with simply soaking your feet in a tub of water with the same ingredients. Check for sensitive, but placing one drop of the essential oil on you forearm. If you skin turns red, you may be allergic to that oil. Speak with a Clinical Aromatherpist to help you find the perfect combination for you or if you are new to Aromatherapy and essential oils.
- Stretch your muscles before exercising to help prevent injury and to warm up your muscles. Talk with a personal trainer, yoga or Pilates instructor to safely show you stretching routines. Even if you may not exercise on a daily basis, stretching on a daily basis will help reduce muscle spasms.
- Get a massage on a regular basis with a licensed massage therapist you are comfortable with. Massage is great for relaxing muscles, relieving pain, reducing muscle spasms and overall health.
Using some of these tips will help you prevent those annoying charley horses. Always speak with your health care provider about any concerns you may have.